Your Complete Pre-Moving Checklist
While moving to a new house is exciting, it comes with a lot of responsibilities you need to think about. From packing up to making sure everything goes according to plan, there’s a lot that goes into preparing for your move to a new place.
At Farwes Homes Ltd., we understand that moving into a new house can be quite a challenge. Moreover, staying organized and keeping track of all the details can be viewed as a stressful or laborious task, but you can handle your move-out quickly and easily with a little preparation.
We’ve created a handy checklist to help you move out with as little stress as possible. Follow our checklist to simplify your moving process and focus on the new adventure ahead.
1. Line up the movers as soon as you know the firm closing date.
2. Send notifications to any companies that will need to change your mailing address. Keep a list of who you sent notifications to.
3. If you are doing your own packing, then get boxes or bins as required. Your mover may supply them.
4. While packing, use any towels or face cloths or dishcloths that you don’t need to pack breakables or glassware that you will not be needing before the move.
5. Pack one room at a time with those items that you do not need immediately. Mark all boxes with the room they are in and where they are to be put in the new house.
6. As you pack a room, now is the best time to give it a good cleaning!
7. Contact your service providers! Hydro, gas, water, etc., to have the meters read on the closing date. Also, contact your new providers to set up contracts if required.
8. While packing, this is a good time to purge, make garbage boxes, recycle, etc.
9. Check with your movers about one week before moving to make sure everything is good to go.
10. On the day of the move, have someone in the old house to ensure everything is handled with care and nothing is left behind.
11. On the day of the move, have someone show the movers where things are to be placed at the new house.
12. It is also a good idea to have some food on hand like pizza etc., that is easy to handle.
13. Clean any appliances that are being left behind, the fridge, microwave, washing machine, etc. And also sweep up after everyone has left.
14. Leave any warranty papers, mailbox keys, garage door openers labeled where they can easily be found.
15. Lock up as per your lawyer’s instructions or leave a key with your Real Estate Agent!
Enjoy your new home!
If you need assistance with moving to a new house or are looking out for a custom home builder in Cobourg, ON, reach out to Farwes Homes Ltd. We are a family-owned and operated business since 1985 and have successfully completed many homes in the Quinte and Belleville area, a full subdivision located north of Cobourg (Cornish Hollow), and have developed a new upscale estate called Westview Park just north of Port Hope. We serve clients across Port Hope, Belleville, Peterborough, Quinte West, Newcastle, Grafton, Brighton, Rice Lake, Fraserville, and Campbellford, ON.